Saturday, September 11, 2010

Doing it, yeah, doing it.

Top 10 Songs on my Ipod

Next to me by Ghoti Hook
I love songs that start with piano and then commence with the rockin’ (also see ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’ below). This is one of my favorite songs of all time from my favorite band. I like them so much that I almost flew to Philadelphia last summer to see their reunion show, but Commissioning made it impossible.
Every New day by Five Iron Frenzy
This isn’t just one of my favorite songs on my iPod, it is one of the greatest ‘praise’ songs ever written. I listen to this song a lot, especially when I am flying and the plane is landing. I take that back, this isn’t just one of the greatest praise songs ever written, it is one of the greatest songs ever written full stop.
Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance
Anney hates this song. Well not the song but the video for the song, which IS creepy but doesn’t diminish the song in any way. I am not sure if I like it because of Anney’s hate of the song or the piano/rockin’ equation (see ‘Next to Me’ above) but I like it.
Gabriel’s Oboe by Ennio Morricone (from ‘The Mission’ soundtrack)
I listen to this soundtrack when I need to calm down. No soundtrack will ever top this and no song written for the Oboe will ever surpass the greatness that is this song.
Three Little Birds by Bob Marley
What can I say? I had to have at least one Bob Marley song on here and it could have been any of a number of songs. I wasn’t a big Bob Marley fan until after I spent a summer in Jamaica. I wish I had developed a taste for his music before that summer so I would have wanted to visit more tourist places related to him. I also find it interesting that his father was a white Englishman. Just sayin’.
Saints and Sailors Dashboard Confessional
I first heard this song while driving from WCBC to Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg. After she bought me the CD for Christmas Anney used to make fun of me for having the musical tastes of a 14 year old girl (this also had something to do with me using the phrase ‘24/7'). This is funny because she started listening and from then on she wanted to buy the new CDs. But not anymore because Dashboard kind of sucks now, but I still like the songs from this album. In fact every time someone mentions hair being everywhere we still start singing ‘Screaming Infidelities’ (Your hair...is...everywhere...).
Amazing Grace by Flatfoot 56
My favorite hymn done in Celtic/Punk Style. Wonderful. This starts slow and quietish (no piano though) and then gets loud and raucous. Maybe there is a pattern in the songs I like.
Skates by Hayden
My favorite ‘I am not a folk singer’ folk singer. This was the first Canadian singer that Anney introduced me to. I gave her Ghoti Hook and she gave me Hayden. Love this guy. This song is about a lady who drowned and her body wasn't found, so her husband, who can't swim, goes to buy some ice skates so when the lake freezes he can skate up and down looking for her body. If haven’t heard him you should go and get a CD. Start with ‘Everything I long for’,
Under Lock and Key by MXPX
Ever hear of a band that used to be good? That is MXPX. They were great through ‘The Ever Passing Moment’ then nothing but suck except for ‘On the Cover II’ which was a good recent covers album.
Ephipany from Sweeney Todd
A great song that amazingly shows the characters descent from crazy into total madness, and does it convincingly.

Honorable mentions

I’m only Humanoid (Lost in Space) by Blaster the Rocketboy
I found this song on a compilation from ‘Tooth and Nail Records’ in the mid 90’s. I know that they have many CDs but I have never heard another song by this band.

You make my pants want to get up and dance by Dr. Hook
When I was 10 I had a 45 record of this song. I had no idea what it really meant. I just pictured a pair of pants rising up off of the floor and dancing around in joy. I can’t remember when I first became aware of the true meaning of the song, but I would love to go back and see the look on my face.
Shaggs’ own thing by The Shaggs
Apart from U2, The Shaggs are probably the worst band in the history of music. Three teenage girls with no talent forced by their father to be in a band. And they are fantastic because they beg the question: if they can do it, why can’t I? This song is especially great because it is supremely creepy. The following lyrics are part of the song and sung by the band’s father and brother. Pay special attention to the line near the bottom “doing it, yeah doing it”. In the song this line is given special emphasis and I know that in the early 70’s this probably had a completely different meaning, but in a modern sense it is hilariously creepy.
Lyrics to Shaggs' Own Thing (vocal Version) :
oh, okay, girl, now let's see what you can do.
oh, baby, i feel it now. what? i don't know. but i feel it in my bones.

- pardon me, boy.
- pardon me, man.
- were you with my girl last night?
- yeah, that was me.
- on a Saturday night?
- yeah.
- in the bright moonlight?
- yeah, that was me alright.
- ah, i knew it.

- i saw you a-hugging and a-kissing her with all of your might
and let me tell you, fellow, it was a terrible sight
sneaking out with my girl, thinking she was your girl
and doing it, yeah, doing it.
hugging her and kissing her with all of your might,
on a Saturday night,
in the bright moonlight.
- yeah. (me alright)

Most embarrassing song

Friends by Michael W. Smith
I don’t hate many things in life, but this song is one of those things that I do hate. Maybe it is that fact that it is over played that makes me despise it, or maybe it is the fact that it just sucks…I am not sure. You are probably wondering why it is on my Ipod then. Well it was for a farewell video for someone at the corps, and I am such a great CO that I put my tastes and morals on the line for a corps member. I do have a good cover version of it by Ghoti Hook.

1 comment:

  1. "Skates" is your favourite Hayden song?
    I disapprove...but at least you like Hayden.

    ReplyDelete