Monday, July 12, 2010

I would like to thank the World Cup for reminding me why I dislike soccer (or if you are a purist, football) so much. The final game had a whopping score of 1-0. Really? One goal in 90 minutes of play. That is boring! I have heard the argument that because there are so few goals it makes the goals that are actually scored more exciting. That is pure crap. That is like saying that the whole of the Star Wars prequels were good because the final fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan (in Revenge of the Sith) was good. Bull! Getting there is not half the fun if it is mind numbingly, excruciatingly dull. 'But Craig', I can anticipate some of you saying, 'soccer is the most popular sport in the world.' True, and the players are great athletes, but the game is boring.

Except for boringness I am hard pressed to think of exactly why I dislike soccer. I like indoor soccer because of its fast pace. I like hockey, which also has low scores, but it also has hits and fights (on the ice as opposed to in the stands) so there is an excitement factor. I dislike baseball because of its start/stop nature. Basically the same with American Football. There are hits but it also starts and stops very frequently. So what is the best sport in my opinion? Basketball. Despite being played by overpaid, self important players, it has high scores and mostly fluid playing (except in the last few minutes of some games, which is annoying).
So what am I trying to say? I find soccer boring, but I would never begrudge someone the right to watch it. I would one day like to be able to watch a full game and say, 'wow 1-0 that was a great game', but I don't thing that day will never come.
If you like soccer/football I honestly hope you enjoyed the World Cup and maybe you can explain to me what I am missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment